Saturday, June 28, 2014

I might finally be choosing articles now.

Commented on Shi Jun's blog.

I've just discovered a couple more articles on Interlok. In which I clearly hope that no pictures isn't a problem (but I have close to 0 confidence with that fact and this which I've forgot to ask Daniel for 2 weeks now) so that I could compare two articles which came out on the same day in 2011 from two papers I find rather contrasting. The Stars and Utusan Malaysia.

Once again, running back to my backup plan, I've found an article from Harian Metro with title 'Interlok selami keindahan bumi, bukan penghinaan kaum' which writes about how lecturers are defending the Interlok novel. This differs from most of the articles I've been through for other papers usually only talks about how the officials of different sectors defend the book instead of having education experts to view upon it. Below shows the image of the article back then in Harian Metro, comprising of an image of the lecturers who defends the book, yet another contrasting aspect since this Interlok story doesn't really have a photographic element throughout it's coverage in other papers. (or maybe it's due to the limited archive)



Hamid, A. (2011). Interlok selami keindahan budi, bukan penghinaan kaum. [image online] Available at: <http://202.170.56.249/images/stories/15_Januari_2011_-_Interlok_metro.jpg> [Accessed on: 28 June, 2014]


Another article I've found is leaning towards demonstrations. From Utusan Malaysia, 'Novel Interlok dibakar' it talks about the strong disapproval of the 100 Indian citizens towards the novel with them deciding to burn the books along with an image of the book author. The article is rather angry and filled with comments like we are hurt by this words which speaks of our past. (so much for 1 malaysia).


[Novel Interlok dibakar] 2011. [image online] Available at: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhjqew4XdI8jhO2_l3ve-M7W3uBZ3uQsX76LrRaqdrvX4qmJUob-7336gMDF7f-22I1L7_d63EmjnJY6XthSCZuFc65hE6vxSwS8eoyGipSvd7oAcoja8ORBGQlgCBm3-_-_wkh_wy8-HBT/s1600/interlok01_0001_0001.jpg> [Accessed on: 28 June, 2014]


Moving on, this burning of the interlok demonstration article was released on 9th of January 2011 which coincides with the date of this Star article, "Unlocking the 'Interlok' Issue." Both of the same day but however, two very contrasting article. One of which states the anger of the citizens while the latter speaks of the origins of the controversy words trying to peace out the intensity. I'm still looking if there is a burning of the interlok article from the Stars paper as well and since the archive of the Stars online portal is down, I'm using the unconventional way of digging through google images and see if I could get something. An article closer to the date of this burning incident is from freemalaysiatoday, with title "Paari to 'Interlok' horns with ministry." Really, most of their title in this news portal are asking for a fight.

For now I will mostly likely be comparing the articles from Harian Metro (lecturers article) and freemalaysiatoday (words explanation article). Where one is a Malay newspaper (physical copy) and the other a online newspaper portal.

and Utusan Malaysia with freemalaysiatoday (burning books) and Utusan Malaysia with Stars newspaper (burning books) as backups.



References:

Harian Metro. (2011) Interlok selami keindahan bumi, bukan penghinaan kaum. Harian Metro. [Online] 15 January, 2011. Available at: <http://202.170.56.249/index.php/ms/kenali-usm/arkib-berita/67-papercutting-/7579-interlok-selami-keindahan-budi-bukan-penghinaan-kaum.html> [Accessed on: 28 June, 2014]

RKAnand. (2011) Paari to 'Interlok' horns with ministry. freemalaysiatoday. [Online] 10 January, 2011. Available at: <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2011/01/10/vell-paari-to-interlok-horns-with-ministry/> [Accessed on: 28 June, 2014]

Utusan Malaysia. (2011) Novel Interlok dibakar. Utusan Malaysia. [Online] 9 January, 2011. Available at: <http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2011&dt=0109&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Dalam_Negeri&pg=dn_14.htm> [Accessed on: 28 June, 2014]

1 comment:

  1. http://www.bfm.my/parah-interlok.html

    Check out this interview concerning a play based on this issue. It might give you some ideas.

    Good choice of topic and solid research done so far.

    Consider using some semiotics to untangle the subtext in the language and visuals.

    Remember to do an entry on the targeted audience.

    It'll be really complete if you can find a Tamil newspaper coverage of the incident.

    ReplyDelete